Why Vancouver College?
At Vancouver College, we educate young men guided by the Gospel values and in the tradition of our spiritual founder Blessed Edmund Rice. Our students are immersed in their spirituality, motivated and eager learners in and outside of the classrooms. The Essential Elements are always practiced in everything we do in our community to help foster each boy's mind, body and spirit.
Joining Vancouver College means your son will be part of our rich 100-year history and be part of a group of men who are recognized as inspiring leaders and change-makers. It also means he will be supported in developing moral character, confidence, faith-centred thinking and lifelong friendships. Our mission is to have each boy:
Leave here a better man: faith filled leaders living lives of love and service who pursue excellence of mind, body and spirit.
- We are a tight-knit community that builds strong personal relationships with students and their families.
- We focus on students' individual needs and talents, helping them achieve their personal best.
- Through a strong support system of parents and alumni, students thrive in our community based on faith, family, and tradition.
- Students benefit from the range of opportunities available to them in an all-boys environment and the emphasis on teaching practices that best serve the education of young men.
- Students are held to a clear code of conduct grounded in fair and restorative discipline.
- Students are encouraged to reach their full potential through guidance from our Advisory Program, The Learning Centre, The Wellness Centre and The Campus Ministry Team.
Both Jason (VC’19) and his younger brother, Josh (VC'20), have flourished in VC’s environment of excellence, where Christian values are not just talked about but modelled by students, parents, faculty and staff. VC’s values-based education resonates with the values we hope our sons will embrace for life, values which are universal and eternal.
- Ian Macdonald and Wendy MacLeod
As I crossed a busy street to enter the Richmond Olympic Oval in May, I was a little shocked that I could already hear the roar of cheers from our boys at our annual VC-St George's hockey game. After two years without this event, like so many others, the exuberance of our senior boys was especially bursting. And while at times, particularly this spring, that pent-up energy went in the wrong direction, that moment made me pause and reflect on the true character of the Class of 2022.
When I started this blog, most of my stories came from the Senior School, both because that was my domain and comfort zone, and also because I foolishly thought that it was only in their latter days at Vancouver College that our young men really started to look outside themselves and truly have an impact on our world. Since taking over the principalship, I’ve realized how wrong I was. I now often say that Middle School is the ‘engine of our school’, where character and values coalesce and our Better Men are forged. This entry is dedicated to them, to share a few recent stories of inspiration from those who are already making our school and world a better place.
'So much for our international outreach program…’
So said a saddened staff member almost exactly a year ago, as we sat at our last pre-pandemic event, the VC Basketball Banquet in March 2020. The NBA had just shut down their season abruptly and the world itself was going into a lockdown that is still dragging on.